I’ve been freelancing for the past ~2 years, and this got me thinking about how I manage my time while working from home?
- I don’t actually work from home. I work out of an office in my garden which creates a very real line between what is work and what isn’t. It seems like a small difference, but it is very important.
- Throughout the day I set mini “goals”. Things like “when I finish view X I can watch a video that a friend has Skyped me”.
- Music! If I play music I find that I get less distracted by other things, especially going to sites like YouTube because that would require me to pause the music.
- I ignore emails. Usually not on purpose, but just because I forget to open Outlook. It’s 12:19PM now, and I just realized it was closed.
- I used to unplug my network cable for hours at a time as a way to enforce no internet usage. These days almost all my work is against live API’s so I can’t do that (but maybe Anti-Social is a good idea for this).
- Probably most importantly, I try only take on work that is actually interesting (but this isn’t always possible).
So I’m interested to hear from other devs – how do you avoid distractions?
I’ve often though about making a simple little app that tracks how much time I spend in each app during an average day. Maybe one day I will – but I’m not sure I will like the results.