In this previous post I described how to discover Netduinos on your network without knowing their IP’s. Building on that, this post describes how to make a Netduino log temperature data, and then how to build a Universal Windows 10 app that displays that data.
With the advent of Internet-of-Things things, you’ll probably need a decent way to actually find all of the things on your network.
Fun fact: If you send a UDP packet to *.255 on your network, your router will then send that along to all the devices on your network. So if your local network is on 192.168.1.x, then send it to 192.168.1.255. Or if you want to send it to everything, then you can send to 255.255.255.255.
In my case, I’ve got this awesome little guy…
…setup with DHCP, so the IP occasionally changes. I’ve got a Windows 10 app that needs to connect to it, so we can use the way above to find the Netduino on the network.
I just wasted a rather large amount of time on something really stupid – so maybe this quick post can save someone else.
I needed to localize a Windows Store (8.1) app and I had an “AppResources.resx” file from the Windows Phone version which had all the strings. I followed this MSDN guide on how the new localization stuff works in Windows Store apps.
In that guide, section 1.C.V says the following:
”If you have .resx files with only string resources from previous .NET projects, select Add > Existing Item…, add the .resx file, and rename it to .resw.”
So that’s exactly what I did to convert my old resource file into the new .resw style, because, you know, I trust that Microsoft’s docs are correct. Hours later after none of my TextBlocks ever reading from the resource file I re-read the guide and decided to just create a new .resw file – and hey, it worked!
TL;DR: Microsoft lies, don’t use your old .resx file – create a new .resw file and copy the values across.
Just a quick post on something I came across. While porting a Windows Phone app to Windows 8 (XAML) I noticed that all the calls to IsolatedStorageSettings are invalid as that doesn’t exist anymore. So because I am lazy and didn’t want to change any code I wrote a tiny wrapper around the new way. Once you’ve added the class all your existing code will work fine 🙂