The World Solar Challenge just wrapped up in Australia, where teams from all over the world raced across 3000KM using only the sun.
I got to help out the UKZN team (with their “Hulamin” car) a bit on the software side of things with the telemetry system dashboard.
It was built in WPF, and connected to the internals of the car wirelessly to monitor everything from positional information to individual battery cell data.
One of the really cool things we decided to do was to link up the car with Azure and allow people to live-track the car.
The WPF app receives position data a couple times a second, and passes that up to the Azure service once per second. From there it is saved into a SQL database, and pushed down to the ASP.NET MVC website using SignalR.
What impressed me about the whole system is that we managed to get it to have less than a second latency between the car’s actual position, and what people see on their screen half way across the world. It even stood up against a fair bit of load, even though it was the most basic website tier.
Anyway, I’ll be positing more detail about how it was all built soon, but for now, congrats to the UKZN team who managed to come 13’th beating teams like MIT, Cambridge, and a whole bunch of others!